Monday, December 31, 2007

JVC Everio .MOD Video Woes

I treated myself to a JVC Everio camcorder with a HDD (tapeless recording), model GZ-MG155, for Christmas. My Sony DCR-TRV350 (Digital8) gave up the ghost. Many people are complaining that the .MOD file format for the JVC video clips are giving them loads of trouble, as the .MOD format is not recognized by many video editing programs. I have the simple solution.

1. Backup your video clips to your computer hard drive.
2. Rename the file extensions of your video clips from .MOD to .MPG

Problem solved. Some have reported that they have audio problems while doing this, but I haven't seen (heard?) it. I have no idea what the problem could be.

I use Windows Movie Maker (I'm not a Pro) to create my videos. Some people have complained that when recording in 16:9 their videos are vertically squashed. In MM, go to Tools>Options>Advanced, and change the Video Properties from 4:6 to 16:9, problem solved. I have not experienced any audio problems with this method either.

I hope this helps someone (anyone actually read my Blog?), now go give it a try for yourself!

No comments: