Thursday, September 08, 2005

Another 12 Hours

Another 12hrs of driving have passed, and now we find ourselves staying the night in Odessa, TX, off the I-20W. It's very close to Midland, TX, where a sign proclaims it as "The Home of George W. and Laura Bush." Earlier today while driving through Arkansas, we passed the town/city of Hope, which was proud to state it was the birthplace of Bill Clinton. Hoo-ray... not.

Not much to report today, the drive was uneventful. Gas was available everywhere we stopped, but I continue to fill at half-tank. This drive back to CA has allowed me to reflect on a few things in my past, like a trip I took up the East Coast from FL to NC when I was 16. My father allowed me to drive my own car, following him and my mother in their full-size van. I had my best friend (Thurman) riding shotgun with me. That trip was nothing special, except it does point out an important difference between my father and me.

On that trip I suppose you could say that he trusted me enough to allow me to drive myself. Perhaps it was him knowing that he let me drive since I was 10 years-old that gave him the "warm and fuzzy" to allow me to make the drive myself. On this trip however, I have not "offered" the chance to let my 16 years-old son drive, nor has he asked to drive. It's not a matter of trust, at least I don't think it is. I think it is a simple matter of me being a control freak, wanting to drive the entire time, knowing where I am going, etc, etc. The only thing I ask is that my son stay awake a majority of the time so he can keep me alert.

It's hard to admit that you are a control freak, but knowing that you are, well...
"Knowing is half the battle."

No comments: