Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Day 2

The drive through TN and AR were alright. The camera batteries died on us, so we didn't get any pictures today. Also, we didn't get any pictures of our East-bound trip through MS, I guess we were just too worried about getting gas to worry about documenting what was happening. Not that we have been taking any pictures that relate to anything that we are going through, they are just pictures my son is snapping through the side window as we drive.

Today we made it to Little Rock, AR. I am hoping by tomorrow that we will make it well into TX. Not much to report today, just a solid 12hrs of driving. I had to start topping off the tank at half-empty. We did run into a gas station that was limiting fuel purchases to $25. At $3.04 a gallon, $25 doesn't get you that much, around 8 gallons. Gas prices have been OK, much better than what I was expecting. I actually found gas today for $2.85 in AR. I hope gas prices are cheaper in TX.

And I have found that by limiting my speed to 70mph, my fuel milage has crept up to around 21mpg. This is much better than when I started my trip from CA, where I was driving at 80-85mph, and my milage was closer to 16mpg. I think the best thing to do is to keep the RPMs between 2.7-3.1k RPMs. If anyone cares, the Nissan Xterra was not made for cross-country trips. The seats have been comfortable, but the quarters are cramped, and the wind noise is very obvious.

No comments: